Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hello? Hello...?

I have two things to share:

First, I think it's important for everyone to know about a special interaction Caleb and I had with Grandpa last night. It was the first time we'd seen him in, what? Five whole days? He'd been in the far distant land of Arizona. And he returned with three (kitty litter) buckets full of "citrus." Now, I have no earthly idea why he did the following:

He takes a lemon from one of the buckets.

He puts the lemon in bowl.

He cuts the lemon in half.

He asks Caleb, "You know what this is?"

Caleb gives Grandpa a look of why are you asking me this? and says, "It's a lemon, Grandpa."

Grandpa squeezes the lemons into the bowl and says in his I'm-talking-to-one-of-my-grandkids! voice, "What does this look like, Caleb?"

In a tone that's clearly saying why aren't you playing with me? he humors the old man: "It's lemon juice, Grandpa."

And so Grandpa begins to drink the lemon juice. I have no idea why. He just lapped it up and then spent the next ten minutes smacking and saying, "Hoo boy! That was sour."

Well, yes. Yes, it was, Dad. IT WAS A LEMON.

At the time, I thought nothing of this. But last night as I was almost asleep, I remembered Dad's amazement at the lemon's juice sourness and woke myself up laughing.

And since I don't think that was quite as funny in the telling as it actually was, here are some pictures of Paul's birthday party. We had some Scottish visitors stop by!





2 comments:

DAD said...

Actually Melissa, the reason I indulged in drinking lemon juice is two fold.
#1. I remembered a time long ago when riding a bike in Santa Clara during my mission when I picked a lemon from someones tree, pealed it and ate it like an organge. In the days of yore when Rdub was a young whipper snapper living in an area sporting of citrus was new. Since the lemon tree was the first citrus tree I had seen close enough to harvest fruit, I plucked it and ate it like an Orange. I was actually surprised it was not terribly bitter. You need to remember in the land of famous potatoes the citrus we enjoyed wasn't the most delectable, when compared to tree ripened fruit. Oranges were good (at least as good as one can get from a local grocery store.), but were also picked when not fully ripe so they would store better. The longer fruit stays on a tree the sweeter it becomes to a point. I plucked the lemon in mid February and it had more sugar content than it did in January when it was fully ripe. (Although I did not know that when the fruit was picked.)The primary reason was to gross out my companion. In case you are wondering it worked! It kind of reminds me of the time I once swallowed a raw egg to gross out Dr. Hoggan a Geology professor who took his students to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, Well that's another story for another time.
#2 Jolyn mixes concnetrated lemmon juice and tomato juice 50-50. Since real lemmon juice can't be as bitter as concentrated lemon juice, or so I reasoned; perhaps I'd give it a try. Lemon pie suits me fine, I'll enjoy my lemons that way,
#3 The last reason was to see how you would react. You were more affected by the incessant smacking brought on by the sour lemmon.

Jean Danner said...

Okay, the first picture was cute Clara, not Scottish Anna.